The club is looking to add more volunteering opportunities and social events to allow club members to chat and get to know each other better in a more casual setting. We will be volunteering at Second Harvest Heartland on March 8th, and holding a social event on April 5th! Details of the volunteering can be found under the “Resources” tab on the “Volunteering & Shadowing” page. Our meeting schedule for Spring 2018 has also been mostly finalized. Stay tuned for updates!
A D1 just reached out to us with this event, it’s a great networking opportunity at the Rec Center. I highly encourage you all to check it out!
Our first meeting will be next week on Monday, September 25th! We will be meeting at 6PM in MCB Room 2-120 (The building with the big molecule out front)
Topics of discussion will include volunteering opportunities and fundraising, as well as a discussion by ASDA dental students to discuss events they will be hosting throughout the year and reasons to join!
P.S. I’ve heard there’s food too
February 28th, 2017
See meeting minutes! https://umnpredent.wordpress.com/minutes/
Thanks to all who made it to the last meeting tonight. Can’t believe this year is already coming to an end!
- At the meeting Dr. Karl Self came and talked about oral health disparities, access to care, and team-based care. To see his PowerPoint Slides go to this page.
- Another reminder do ORDER DONUTS! You can find the order form and other info about your yummy donuts on our facebook page—-> https://www.facebook.com/umnpredent/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
- If you are looking for something to do this Friday, the pre-dental club is co-hosting an event with the BioChemistry Club. It’s a Brewing Seminar Friday 4/29 from 4:30-6 in Bruinincks Hall 312. If you are 21+, you can test test the beer! You can still come and learn about how to brew beer even if you aren’t 21.
- As always, you can access our meeting minutes and presentation from the meeting here.
You all have contributed your time, energy, and enthusiasm into the club and have made this an awesome school year, and we are so excited for what is to come next year. Good luck on all of your finals, DATs, shadowing, and whatever else you are doing!
We also owe a huge thank you to the great leadership of our president, Eric Bender, and VP, Nick Stokfisz, as they tirelessly worked to continually improve this club.
Our next meeting will be held in September, so keep an eye out for an email from the new officers as fall approaches. In the meantime, stay posted via our Facebook group (University of Minnesota Pre-Dental Club) and follow us on Twitter (@predentumn) for periodic updates.
Thanks to all that came and participated in elections this past meeting. There was a great turnout with people running and voting. If you were unable to attend meeting, this is what you missed:
- Jacob Jordan and Meera Damodaran (the President of Operation Smile) talked about an Operation Smile event called “Kick it with the Kids” on April 30th. It is a kickball tournament that costs $5 to play. You can assemble or join a team of 10 people. Check out the UMN Operation Smile Facebook page for more info.
- The majority of meeting was dedicated to elections. Everyone who ran did a phenomenal job and congrats to everyone that won. Here are the winners:
- President: Jacob Jordan
- Vice President: Waverly Slette
- Secretary: Ryan Moylan
- Treasurer: Anna Riester
- Public Relations: Breanna Besel
- Webmaster: Lizzy Purtell
- Social Chair: Jordyn Dwyer
- Our ‘Dinner w/ Dentists’ event is coming up soon! It is April 18th in the Mississippi Room in Coffman from 6:30-7:45. It will be about $15 a head (free for dentists). Save the date and add to your Google Calendar!
- We need YOUR HELP in getting dentists to this event. Please send this document (filled in with names) to any dentists you know that might be willing to participate in our event. 🙂
- After elections, club members got together and practiced interview questions. Older members shared advice with younger members that they thought might be helpful for pre-dental students. If any group members would like to practice interview questions or receive pre-dental advice, just contact the club.
- We have a Krispy Kreme fundraiser coming up to raise money for our upcoming Dinner with Dentists event. It’s $10/dozen ($12 for specialty). You can order yours with this Order Form. Pick-up date and location not set in stone, but likely Thursday and Friday, April 21st and 22nd.
The next Pre-Dental Club meeting will be held on Monday, April 25. Hope to see you all there!